This course will provide general information to de-mystify the popular tests that are often prescribed by physicians. Gain a better understanding of what the results for common blood and other tests indicate by knowing and understanding your numbers.
Education Level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Successful completion of the quiz is necessary to receive 0.1 International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) continuing education credits.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Identify the 4 common blood types and the two types of Rh factors.
- Describe how blood pressure works and identify normal blood pressure parameters.
- Describe the general purpose of the following blood tests:
- Complete Blood Count (CBC)
- Basic Metabolic Panel (BMP)
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP)
- Lipid Profile
- Hemoglobin A1C
- Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA)
- Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
- Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (TSH) 2
- Describe cardiac markers and why/when they are tested.
- Describe the purpose of coagulation studies.